You need to keep in mind that R22 is getting phased out of the market to make way for refrigerant types that are more environmentally friendly, like R134a. The Montreal Protocol stipulated that no more R22 refrigerant would be created or imported, and that’s been in effect since 1995. Still, you can find it on the market since it’s often recycled from currently existing sources. HVAC service techs often turn in bottles of the older R22 that they take from older systems. It’s then cleaned and filtered, meaning it’s recycled and ready to be repurposed.

HVAC Service Or Repair Company

Even so, the supplies of R22 have been dwindling in overall volume going back 1995. As such, prices have been rising. Even with the restrictions R22 faces, it doesn’t mean that all supplies will run out, as some R22 has now been recycled multiple times. However, prices are going to continue rising while supplies constrict.

So, where can you buy R22? The Internet is obviously one place to get it, but you can also find it at HVAC service companies or HVAC supply stores. Also, some home improvement, hardware, and big-box retailers carry Freon in certain regions.

Buying from an HVAC service or repair company is not always wise, given how much they’re going to mark up the prices that they charge. An HVAC supply company is also going to mark up their prices, but not as much. General retailers will typically have the better prices, but the Internet might always prove best. That’s especially true if you live in a rather rural area and the closest brick and mortar retailers are many miles away. That’s painful when you need Freon or parts.

Local HVAC Supplier

Also, consider that delivery fees might make the cost go up if you order from a local HVAC supplier. For instance, you might pay $40 per pound if you drive to the supplier yourself, but having it delivered might mean $60 per pound. That would all mean that your standard 30-lb bottle runs from one to two grand!

You should also consider that buying R22 means that you need an EPA certification card or a letter of intent to resell. However, this documentation isn’t that difficult to get. You can get one of four kinds of EPA certification for this: Types I, II, and III, and Universal. These various levels of certification demonstrate the kinds of HVAC units you might work on. Types II and III mandate a proctored test, where your ID is checked and you’re watched so they know it’s actually you taking that test. The Type I doesn’t require a proctored test, since it can be done open book and online, letting anyone buy Freon. You’re going to be technically only allowed to work on AC units that hold 5 pounds or less, but you’ll be able to go out and buy Freon.

If you only need a few actual pounds of R22 Freon, it might just make sense to call a service tech. However, if you own multiple homes or rental properties using R22, then it might save money to buy your own Freon. To know more contact us or visit the website at